Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Sociological Mindfulness

I thought the video was eye-opening. I think that guy did a very good job trying to get everyone who watched to be even a little bit empathetic and mindful. It was very smart on his part to first make up a scenario where America is the weaker country because everyone in the crowd would know what that feels like. Then the crowd could empathize a little more closely with the Iraqi civilians. The biggest thing I picked up from this video, I realized how distorted our views of other countries probably are. I realize that we are probably being lied to, but I didn't realize how much until I saw the other point of view. You had told us that it was radical (and it was) and might make us angry, but I didn't feel that. His speaking made me think and got my mind going about a million miles an hour thinking of what I've missed or what I have thought or said of others in my life by not doing this.

As for sociological mindfulness in my own life, I can't lie and say I do it often enough and empathize with others. However, I sometimes have been able to do empathize and be sociologically mindful when someone hurts me or does something that is questionable. My hope is that if I put myself in their shoes I will understand why they hurt me or why they do the weird things that they do. I am definitely going to be more sociologically mindful and empathetic from now on. My hope is that I will get angry less at others because I will understand them better.

Finally, finishing the statement. I see myself fitting into the big picture of society as a thinker, an analyzer. Without people who analyze, our society would be much more whimsical. More people would do without thinking, the world would be run much more on a whim. It is the thinkers and analyzers that keep the happy-go-lucky people grounded more, keep the world more stable.

1 comment:

  1. There definitely has to be analyzers in our society. It's a great skill to have.

    ReplyDelete